16/06/2010

Big Gudgeon - Attempt No 2 (Shropshire Union Canal, Chester)

Today's task was to catch one gudgeon and this time suitably supplied with a pint of squatts and half a pint of pinkies, it was down to the Telfords Warehouse basin again for round two. Simple, as the merecat would say...

I'm fishing an inch over depth, with a 4x14 styal float, size 20 Kamasan micro barb nipped down and 3/4 pound Smart bottom. First put in and I bump a decent bream and there's slime all the way up the line. I'm only giving this 2 hours as it's all the time I can skive off home for. It's surprisingly much harder going with maggots on the hook than bread punch, but there's still a steady stream of silvers, mainly roach but the odd micro dace. The perch start to come as the sun goes down, with most put-ins producing 1-2 oz specimens. Not a gudgeon in sight though and when a vast shoal of mammoth roach (see below) moves in it's time to pack in as they take the bait every put in. Now this is no longer funny - I've not resorted to weighing a micro dace yet to get a pb, but give it another gudgeon blank and I'll be very tempted...

Change of venue next time - think I'll try the canal at Christleton, to see if the great gudgeon migration has moved them all to the east.













No comments:

Post a Comment