25/08/2011

Big Catfish - Attempt No 5 (Grimsditch Mill Pool)

Although I've still not managed to break my catfish duck, I do feel that I've made a lot of progress as regards setting up the rigs and largely conquering enough bogey man fear to allow myself to focus on the fishing rather than self defence from killer field mice each time I'm on a solo night session!

This time I'm again at Grimsditch Mill Pool on the Lymm Anglers card which I picked as a venue because it is on the way to work allowing some discreet baiting up and small and quiet enough for me to learn on the job and know I'm never too far away from any cats in the water. I don't it's got much of a head of fish but I think I need to have an idea what I'm doing before rocking up at Lakemore or Linear Fisheries and trying to bag a 60 lber.

This time I've gone for the swim where I saw a catfish strike on the surface last time and have put in a big bed of eel pellets and dead maggots on that spot with the intention of fishing a livebait on a dumbbell rig over the top. The other two rods are to be a double leech rig on the point of the pool's main island and a worm rig on the marginal shelf of the island which is not going out till dark to avoid the attention of perch and tench.

Second job is to get some livebaits and the problem is actually catching fish small enough to use without having a moral/fish stock dilemma. Decent roach after roach come to the margin pole before I've got enough skimmers and 3-5 ins roach to last the night. A quick photo of the Mr Fish camp to show Mrs Fish how close to a 5 star Hilton a Nash Oval (Truly great piece of kit) and a large TFG bedchair can be before settling down for the night.




It might have been a good idea to put the pole away before taking this groundbreaking shot though because I turn round to see the pole disappearing into the pool. Even my best Peter Schmeichel dive is not enough to grab the butt before it's gone and steaming away towards the island...

After a Touretts moment it just gets better when I see that a carp angler has set up in the next swim and fastidiously placed three rods in, each with double back leads and super accurate free offering placement. "Hello mate, nice weather, yep, that's my pole haring around your swim. It's a new tactic I'm trying out where the fish tires itself out by dragging a pole and rig around for ten minutes and then I just net a PB in the margins..."

It takes 20 mins to finally snag the pole by which time no doubt a 40lb common has slipped the hook. Interesting that the pole was towed the full length of the lake but despite lots of support, I don't think I'm too popular with those that have had me casting a lead round their swims.

Unfortunately, the night fishing is not as exciting with only one full blooded run to the worm rod at 3am which I fail to connect with. Two screeching barn owls make sure I get no kip though, so it's with very bleary eyes that I check the catch reports for Grimsditch when I'm back home at 7am to see that no cats have come out this year so far. I've not made this easy for myself so I think it's time to try a more target rich venue if I can squeeze another night session in before the weather gets too cold.

Cheers

Mr Fish






























































No comments:

Post a Comment