27/05/2012

Big Tench - Attempt No 2 (Lymmvale)

I'm going to have a proper go at beating my modest Tench record of 5lbs and after a bit of digging round the internet on various forums Lymmvale seems to be a good bet with a decent head of 5-7lb fish and a nice place to boot!

I've had a reccy and a few casts with the depthometer.  The place was alive a week ago with spawning carp - it was like The Blue Planet aquarium had moved 20 miles for the day with at least 15 15-25lb carp swimming 10-15 ft from the eastern bank in little groups.   I even dropped the depthometer on one by mistake after emptying it with no spooking by the fish.  Fascinating stuff to take in for 30 mins on the way in to work and I could happily testify in court that there is one huge Ghost Carp in there...

Not having a clue where to start on the first day of fishing it's the usual plan - all out bait assault in the north east corner of the lake.  I've been a bit shoddy and not really sorted out tench rigs and am blagging it with two river barbel set-ups.  Not too clever but at least I know they have the oompf to tame a bigger specimen even if it makes for the weed that appears to ring the shoreline of the whole lake.

Two mashed loves; 2 pints of hemp and 3 pints of red maggots go in and then sit and wait on a Source Boilie snowman rig (carp or monster tench) and triple red maggot on a size 10.  A nice carp cruises under the rods about 40 mins later but the action only starts after 2.5-3 hrs with liners and dropped runs driving me mad.  The closest rod is only 10 yards out at the bottom of the shelf so the fish seem to be working the weedy shelf itself.  I fish till dark without success - I can get back next week so lighter rigs, gentler baiting and possibly a bait popped up on the ledge are the plan.

Why o why has google updated Blogspot and deleted the spellcheck tool for posts by the way? Either plain dumb or a plan to get some cash out of me...

Moving on - another blankety blank though and a more refined plan required.

Mr Fish      

No comments:

Post a Comment