27/10/2013

Big Pike - Attempt No 9 (Shropshire Union Canal, Chester)

I've been raring to go on the River Dee for weeks after buying a load of Perch lures but predictably there has been biblical levels of rain and the river is a chocolate coloured unfishable torrent.

Bored and with the family away for a few hours, I've took the dog for a walk along the canal next to Boughton Hall cricket club to try for a pike or decent perch.

First cast loses the lure I spent an hour carefully selecting into the scrub in front of the used car garage but second cast on a large Back and white Mepps produces a really solid take in the basin.  It's a great scrap on a light spinning rod and after going aerial 2-3 times, two bemused Japanese tourists see me hand out a nice pike of 9-10lbs.  Not the worst start to fishing a new venue!

I've only got a couple of hours but an hour later a jack of 5lbs takes the same lure further east on the canal but working back with various plugs doesn't add anything else.

I'm probably not going to beat my pike PB of c.17lbs in the canal but it's worth a try if the river is in flood.

Not looking good at Utd for the "Chosen One" - even the scousers are getting feisty...

Mr Fish 

No comments:

Post a Comment