16/08/2009

Big Perch & Eels (Pickmere)

Taking the dog with me meant that I plumped for a Saturday afternoon and evening at Pickmere, on the Sale Moor card. My eel and perch PBs are about as modest as you get (1.5 lbs and 1lb) so they were the target species, hopefully with a bonus tench.

Pickmere is, in my view, about as hard as it gets, with limited, difficult bankside access and no real features, but you never know what's going to turn up - had a 10lbs 13 oz bream a few years ago. Armed with buckets of lobworms; red maggots; expo groundbait and a secret ingredient, I picked a peg with a good bit of nearby bankside tree cover and unloaded a Bomber Harris barrage of bait around a marker float.

No tench, but even despite size 12, 8 and 6 hooks, the small to medium perch kept coming all day but nothing of note. Dark brought screaming runs on big balls of worms, with me finally hooking a good lump, which soon evolved into a freshwater snake. Despite hoping to catch one, there's still something truly 'orrible about a reasonably sized eel. I know there's lots of web and angling press articles saying how lovely they and rightly how respected they should be; but the first instinct is always to go for the cleaver back of neck method of hook removing. Derek the dog livened him up with some furious licking for me and an eel of just over a pound is put back in safe and sound.

No PBs, but I'm sure targeting the same spot with some small livebaits/deads will bring home the bacon. I've been invited by a punter to so some sea trout fishing on the Hodder this Thursday - fingers crossed I can bag my first.

Mr Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment