12/08/2009

Big Trout Practice (Barnsfold Reservoir)

Had a late call from a client asking me to do an evening's trout fishing at Barnsfold Waters near Preston. Not really a big fish opportunity, but a chance to get the fly casting going, as I'm having a crack for some sea trout next week. New venue, so straight on with the washing line set-up, while my relative novice host got out the biggest dry fly you've ever seen - suicide on a stocked reservoir in my experience.

Bagged two, two pounders on a cruncher and a carrot fly - not too bad. The host manages four and a Rudd on the big daft dry. The fishery owner chats with me while he loses a fifth - put him onto an oversized B&H Sedge last week apparently. Totally tucked up, but good fun for a few hours.

I've got Saturday to plan for as the Mrs is out. Can't do an overnighter and I'll have the dog, which rules out most club waters. Thinking going for a Barbel or Dace on the Dee, or maybe Roach/Eel/Perch in Bala Lake; or dog to the folks and Tench on Lymm Vale - too many choices...

Mr Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment