20/03/2010

Big Grayling - Attempt No 3 (River Dee)

I've only got three hours today, but I'm determined to crack this Grayling fishing on the fly, even if my track record so far is real Eddie the Eagle in terms of achievement level.

Sods law with not much time, second cast with my team of three strongly recommended czech nymphs patterns perfectly, balanced as per an internet site I've become short term obsessed with and its all systems go....up the overhanging tree with the lot of them - triffic. Taking no regard for personal safety I'm up to the very top of my chesties in ice cold River Dee to jump up and snap the branch off - anyone watching would have had a field day - what a total goon.

Ten minutes of water knot fantastic later and I'm off again. I've finally forced myself to stop casting and feel I'm running the team of nymphs through the runs ok, possibly not deep enough though, as I'm never catching bottom. Half a mile of hard fishing with not a sniff and then the indicator stops, a strike and nothing. Another run through and it stops at slightly further down the run. Thump and I'm into something fishy for 3-4 seconds and then it's off. Two hundredish more runs through the swim with bugger all but confidence is no longer on a par with Portsmouth's chances of premiership survival...

Another blank. I'm probably mad but feel I'm getting closer. I've just spent two hours watching Oliver Edwards DVD and another hour making longer braided leaders for next time. This time next week....

Cheers

Mr Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment