17/07/2011

Big Catfish Attempt No 1 (Grimsditch Mill Pool)




I've been sneakily pre-bating four swims in two small Cheshire lakes known to hold catfish for a month now and tonight was my first attempt at one of them. It's been chopped up sardines and pellets going in on the way to work every 2-3 days and I really fancied a tight overgrown channel alongside an island as you can see top left on the photo above, which is about 25-30 yds from my peg.




The two rods are rigged with wire traces in case a biggish eel picks up the bait and one rod has a sardine section as bait and the other leeches popped up using a small dumbell rig set out about 2/3 up the shallow 3 ft of pool depth.




Starting at 7 pm there are instantly knocks and short pulls on the deadbait but nothing to strike at. I'm fishing with my carp pod with it's relatively heavy swingers that may be a hindrance and making the fish drop the bait...





It's pull, twitch and all manner of knocks which you couldn't strike at till 1 am when I pack up. The line has been out of the clip three times strongly on sardine but each time nothing on the strike - could be small eels or perch when it was light. Only one sharp pull on the leeches...




Another blank then but I'm off work for two weeks so will try again in a few days, probably with some better set-ups.

Mr Fish



















No comments:

Post a Comment