11/07/2011

Big Sea Trout - Attempt No 1 (River Teifi)


By my reckoning there's only four types of principal UK freshwater fish that I haven't caught yet, those being a bleak; zander; catfish and a sea trout. I'll probably need to migrate down south for the day to knock off a bleak or two; but the three main species I need for a full house are a catfish; zander and a sea trout, possibly the hardest fish to catch in the uk.

I've not fished for sea trout specifically before so I thought the best thing to do was to get myself down to south west wales and on to one of the two rivers that are synonymous with sea trout - the Teifi and the Towy. Mrs Fish has very kindly bought me a two night trip with Steffan Jones, the top "Sewin" guide and it's forecast warm cloudy nights and we're on a new moon - no excuses then...

I've got a good mate, Llyr, coming with me so we arrange to meet in Aberaeron, a beautiful little town three quarters of the drive down. As you can see from the picture above, the coastline alone is worth the trip but after checking in to the Porth Hotel, Llandysul, we're on to the river for a look and a quick warm up before we meet Steffan at 8.30pm to get to the beats we will be fishing tonight. The old faithful Prince Nymph proves to be the supreme Salmon Parr and Brownie basher and I'm ready for the night's entertainment.

Steffan has us fishing riffled water until the dark really comes in and the salmon parr are still having it no matter the size of fly. Then we change the flies for dark, "less than an inch before dark" and "more than an inch after dark" is the recommended way to go and then I'm wading into the Teifi unable to see a thing...

This is one of the strangest things I've ever done. The visibility is 5-10 ft max and the trees on the far bank look like they have grown right the way across the river almost to my face. I'm 39 but it's genuinely a bit scary. We're at the tail end of a pool and suddenly Llyr is in and a heavy looking fish is charging all over the pool. An aerobatic fight finishes with a fantastic looking 4lb Sea Trout in the net. No pressure on me now then...

Llyr loses another one and then there's a strong jolt on my line. I've missed one without striking...

Then another 10 minutes later I've missed another by not striking quickly enough. I''m casting and seemingly fishing well but once I've racked up nine missed takes and too many little plucks to mention in four further locations I'm pulling my hair out. We finish at 2.30am and whilst it's been a fantastic experience with a great guide (Find Steffan at anglingworldwide.com) I can't help thinking that I've blown it. Perfect conditions; casting well; bites galore but not one hooked. An otter slipping into the river opposite me in the pitch dark will not be forgotten for a while as I waited to see a crocodile surface near me; or turn round to see someone in a white ski mask, not that the pitch black was freaking me out. Do this on my own (?), you have to be kidding.

Night two and I've been chasing a fly round the hotel room all day with chopsticks to speed up the reactions (!) and am raring to go. I've drummed Steff's No 1 tip into my mind ie. cast square as possible and start retrieving straight away. I don't think I fished at all badly last night and should have had 3-4 but the facts are that I'm still a sewin virgin.

Conditions are not as good with a cold front having moved in and by the time it's dusk there's mist over the river which Steff tells us because the river is warmer than the air temperature - a killer for the fickle sea trout apparently. I'm still on the less than an inch pre pitch black strategy with a Peter Ross teamed with a Butcher when suddenly I've got a good take which I finally manage to hit in the half light. It's a short but very aerial fight before the boys net a monster of 3/4 pound on the Peter Ross. It's far from massive but definitely a sea trout on the fly in the nearly dark and very tough conditions. About 1,300 lbs less than my biggest ever fish but I'm thrilled and have done it on the first trip - brilliant, or "Tidy" as they say in this part of south Wales.
The rest of the night is tough. The mist plays havoc with my night vision and I'm continually in the trees opposite. There are no more takes proper but loads of plucks showing that they are just not having it properly. This is truly great fishing and about as hard core as UK angling can get. Before I know it it's 3.30 am and time to finish. I've done what I came for and maybe it's for the best that I have a very beatable new PB of 3/4 pound as it's a great excuse to get back there as soon as can to break it.

Just to finish, I've been reading Terry Hearn's book, in Pursuit of the Largest. I know some of the carp boys have more than a wiff of fishing dolies/gypos these days but the commitment of the guys in this book is truly frightening. 100 nights without a run on a venue and then bang, Big Humphrey is in the net at 40lbs. It's probably beyond me to juggle family; mortgage etc. to commit like they do but hats off, I have not heard of that level of dedication in any other sport. The carp on p231 is mind blowing by the way.

Now where can I catch a catfish....?

Cheers

Mr Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment