25/07/2011

Big Catfish - Attempt No 2 (Grimsditch Mill Pool)

Second attempt on the Catfish and I've persisted with the leeches on a submerged dumbbell set-up on one rod, with two other rods on sardine heads.

It's a full vampire session as you can see from the photo and I'm into the same tight island site where I've kept the pre-bait going in every other day since my last attempt.

All the baits have wire trace as I'm hedging my bets a bit with the possibility of a good eel - the Mr Fish theory being that an industrial revolution mill pond could have a few very old rascals in residence. Not top of my list for a midnight hour grapple but with Kim Bassinger unlikely to be trawling fishing ponds at night, or any other place to be fair, I'll make do with a PB eel and don't want to be chewed off at the net.

It's a frustrating night with the sardine rods jangling away almost as soon as they go in with plucks, pulls and the odd clip out mini run which aborts before I can get to the rods. I think I'm in for a night of no sleep or fish when the action all stops at 9ish and apart from the leech rod being taken out of a loose clip at 1am, it's very quiet apart from the bogey man, or perhaps an animal, howling away in the field behind me. Blank No 11 in the bag.






  1. Is my set-up giving too much resistance?



  2. Is the wire putting whatever is on the baits from taking properly?



  3. Do cats mess with baits or just roar off?



  4. Why can't I win the lottery?
Plenty to ponder for my next crack at it...

Cheers

Mr Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment