15/08/2012

Big Barbel - Attempt No 2 (River Ribble)

Shocking day today. 

Arranged a few weeks back to tackle the Ribble again with my mate Andy on a section where he's had some good hauls and is confident a double figure Barbel is a real possibility.  The weather forecast was truly shocking but Andy is made of hardy stuff and reckoned that the weather fronts "Quickly" blow over Preston...

Mindful of the forecast of storms and 40-50 mph winds I decide on a light roving approach using the biggest pieces of ledgered crust and meat I can cram on to a Kamasan Size 6 light wire hook and short (20-40 mins) stops in each likely looking swim.  I opt for a swan shot paternoster link with plasticine added to just hold bottom and pull off if snagged up.

The wind is horrendous and though I'm confident that the first 2 hrs produced no bites we wouldn't have known anyway with the tips bouncing all over the place!  The barometer is crashing through the floor and for some reason salmon are leaping about everywhere, maybe in expectation of rain to get going again up the river.

And then the rain came - serious rain - squalls I think is the technical terms or more accurately squalls x10.  I have never seen rain like it.

I quickly run through 4 swims while wondering how I managed to leave my waterproof pants in the car and be persuaded to fish today at all.  Somehow I nick a 3lb chub on ledgered crust to save my blushes before hiding under a bush while a storm of biblical proportions sits over is for 45 mins...



It's a full strip in the car to finish the day, where thankfully I have a spare set of clothes - never again....

Mr Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment