10/08/2012

Big Pike - Attempts 5-8 (River Dee, Chester)

I've been sneaking out on my boat for an hour or two at dusk on the River Dee to track to bag a decent pike, perch or chub on a lure.  I've caught all three but the chub and perch have been very tricky and hardly earth shattering in terms of size... 


I am however getting to grips with the pike and after years of catching jack diddly on spinnerbaits River Dee pike seem to love 'em.  Trolling an orange spinnerbait on one rod and a shallow diving plug on the other has brought 20 or so fish in a couple of weeks and by trial and error I'm gradually increasing the size, though the river is infested with jacks of 1-3 lbs.

Breakthrough this morning though as after having a strong run on an old American jointed plug it's delivered my best ever fish out of the Dee - not a monster but 12.5 lbs is obviously a double and a fantastic scrap while dodging the rowing boats!


The good run continues, a PB of sorts and with an order of the biggest and gaudiest spinnerbaits you could ever imagine on it's way from the States hopefully my long wait for a 20lb Pike will be ended on the river that has been my Achilles heel for 30 years.  Utd are going to sign Van Persie as well - things are looking up!!!

Mr Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment