20/10/2012

Big Chub - Attempt No 2 (River Dane, Middlewich)

Had a few hours spare today so thought I'd grab some time with a roving rod on the River Dane at Middlewich on the Lymm card, to see if I could add to my PB of 4lbs 4oz; which also came from the Dane, a great small river chub venue.  There's been quite a bit of rain lately but the Dane seems to run off and clear quickly so I chance it...

Unfortunately, by rushing out of the door, I manage to leave all my bait in the garage so armed only with a loaf of thick cut white bread from the BP garage on the way to the stretch my tactics are decided by my incompetence.  It's mashed bread and a REALLY big chunk on the hook bounced around each swim, with only a swan shot and some plasticine to hold bottom, for only 20-40 mins max to try to tempt a big lump that normally sees boilies, luncheon meat or maggots fished static and/or next to feeders for hours on end.

There's some mad action in the second swim I try, with a 4 foot twitch of a bite and a 5 minute merry dance (with my 1.5lb test curve rod making no impression whatsoever) around a tree root strewn swim until the hook pulls out of what was either the British record chub or a decent barbel...

Not much point in staying in that swim, so I switch to a pool on a bend where my previous PB was caught and after only 10 mins there's some sharp plucks before a big drop back and the rod slamming over.  The big chub fight like crazy in the Dane, particularly on braided line and I'm both relieved and pleased after a strong fight to slide the net under a big fat fish that looks close to my PB.  Although I've no camera (in with the bait boxes sadly) luckily I do have a Salter spring balance that confirms a nice fish of 4lbs 6oz and a another new PB!

Great stuff, 3 hours of easy fishing, a PB and home for tea, medals and brownie points...

Cheers all

Mr Fish    


    

No comments:

Post a Comment