28/02/2013

Big Chub - Attempt No 3 (River Dane)

A mate of mine has been asking to do some winter chub fishing and we finally found a free slot to get together on the River Dane, which has been kind to me over the time of the Big Fish Diaries....

Although my mate Damian is an experienced angler, there was just no need to over complicate matters and medium feeder rods, 6lbs braided line, DIY SSG link ledgers and fluoro hooklengths to either size 4 or size 6 Kamasan hooks were our weapons of choice.  I have no doubt fishing smaller baits on the Dane would bring more bites/fish but much like a big pie draws in a fat lass passing Greggs, I have found that a massive chunk of Mighty White bread or Spam is just irresistable to big river chub.

Under strict instructions to only spend 40 mins max in each swim, my man started at one end of the beat while I kicked off in the pool at the upstream limit of the stretch.  I'd had quite a few plucks but nothing solid enough to strike at when we met in the pool at the middle of the beat.  I've never had even a bite in that pool over the years but would you believe after making my first cast after sitting down for a coffee and a catch up; the rod is ripped round with a violent take and I'm into a huge chub.

I'd just added a lump of plasticine to the link ledger in the hope of creating a bolt effect to convert one of the surprisingly nervous twitches that I've been getting all morning and we're away.  It's a nerve jangling and fierce scrap with the rod bent double and the drag giving line a few times before Damian slips the net under a very long lean chub that looks massive and easily over the magic 5lbs barrier....



It's a great fish and another chub PB but at 4lbs 14oz I'm a smidgeon short of 5lbs.  No matter, I'm chuffed to bits anyway though because it's a great fish and this tiny river keeps delivering quality fish time after time.

Damian has a grueler though, with no fish and with last failing and the winter cold really starting to bite he suggests that we pack up to meet some shooting mates at the "Battle Cruiser".  I've a final bar of gluten/dairy free chocolate to munch though so suggest one final cast into the pool that produced the biggie earlier on.

I'm a firm believer that it's not over till the fat lady sings in everything we do and so it proves again today with the belter below making his day as you can see from the grin!  His first chub ever at 4lbs 12oz - not a bad starter for ten...



Tight lines.

Mr Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment