18/02/2010

Big Chub Attempt No 1 (River Ribble)

My mate Andy from Yorkshire has arranged for us to do a day on the Ribble. I met him when horrendously pished one night in Harrogate - he had the misfortune of cabbing me back to my mates gaff in Ripon. Stroke of luck though, as he's a top river coarse angler and swapping a bigger fare for a day's barbel fishing a few years back produced by first barbel and still my pb of 8lbs 3oz from the River Swale.

I've only fished the Ribble once before and lost a couple of Barbel in the jagged bedrock on the bottom in the Tickled Trout section. It's a very cold day but lovely and bright when I get there - looks great to have a good chance of cracking my chub pb of 4lbs 4oz from the Dane.....and then in comes the 50 year storm. Rain, rain and more rain....

One proper pull on cheese paste all day and a few tiny knocks. The fish are just not having it, which isn't surprising after the river turned from gin clear to chocolate in the first hour. Another blankety blank and a cold no doubt on the way. Think I need an easy day in the sun to get the enthusiasm going again.

Cheers

Mr Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment